Holidays Act, Parental Leave and Payroll - Wellington
- Duration: 8 hours
- Region: Wellington
- Venue: Cliftons Wellington
This course will help you manage staff entitlements under Holidays Act 2003 and the Parental Leave and Employment Protection Act 1987
If you are a member of HRNZ, please log in through the HRNZ website to access your member discount.
Earlybird tickets are available until 19 September 2019. All pricing includes GST.
- HRNZ Member = $920.00
- Non-member = $1,150.00
- HRNZ Member = $1,035.00
- Non-member = $1,380.00
Many employers are confused as to how to comply with holiday and parental leave legislation.This one day course will help you manage staff entitlements under Holidays Act 2003 and the Parental Leave and Employment Protection Act 1987,
Do you want to find out staff entitlements to annual holidays, public holidays, alternative holidays, sick leave, and bereavement leave?
Do you want to calculate and manage holiday pay procedures so you comply with the Holidays Act 2003?
Do you want to know how to apply for parental leave, so you can guide staff on their correct entitlements?
This practical course will help you identify common and complex issues of non-compliance under the Holidays Act, and provide you with options to manage these issues.
We will answer your questions, so you can comply with holiday and parental leave legislation. You will receive a workbook with activities, case law and an overview of legislation.
This course focuses on minimum entitlements, rather than additional entitlements provided by collective agreements.
Learning objectives include:
- Overview of Holidays Act 2003 and minimum entitlements
- Discover how to effectively manage common compliance issues
- Budgeting for annual holidays
- Calculating annual holiday pay to comply with the Holidays Act 2003
- Find out when commission and bonuses should be included in gross earnings
- Public holidays and what is an 'otherwise working day' for an employee
- Discuss sick and bereavement leave entitlements
- Proof of sick leave and when you can ask for medical certificates
- Practical tips on how to manage frequent absenteeism
- Calculating public holidays, bereavement leave, sick leave and alternative holidays - when to use Relevant Daily Pay or Average Daily Pay
- Holiday pay following special leave and parental leave
- Keep up to date with recent changes to parental leave entitlements
- Parental leave entitlements and calculations
- Find out how an employee applies for parental leave and payments
- Employers' responsibilities with parental leave
Who should attend?
The course will appeal to Payroll and HR personnel within their first 5 years of practice, or wanting a refresher course. It will also be useful for anyone who wants to know how to comply with minimum holiday and leave entitlements, and how to manage parental leave applications.
All personal development events are subject to HRNZ Terms and Conditions.
Registrations close 08:30am Tuesday 15 October.
About the Presenters
Julia Shallcrass is an employment lawyer who specialises in legal education on contemporary workplace issues.
As director of KiwiBoss, she delivers in-house training and public training on HR and people management to help businesses create better workplaces.
Julia is part of the KiwiBoss team that delivers public courses through HRINZ, and in partnership with Auldhouse.
Julia is a regular webinar presenter for CCH Learning, and subject matter expert for Kineo online training.
She has lectured in Human Resources, Business Ethics and Business Communication for tertiary institutions. Julia is an employment columnist for NZ Herald.
Kerryn Douglas is an experienced Payroll Trainer for KiwiBoss.
Kerryn is also the director of Kerryn Douglas Payroll Consulting, where she is a payroll consultant, who specialises in payroll education and consulting. Kerryn delivers on-on-one as well as group training sessions to businesses, training at the Southland Institute of Technology and consulting with a large group of businesses. She helps organisations understand the legislation that governs payroll and create better workplace processes in regards to their payroll practises.
Kerryn has previously been a regular presenter for CCH Learning, TEO, and has presented to school administrators to help improve their understanding following the Novapay issues. With over 15 years of payroll experience and having processed in excess of 200 client payrolls, Kerryn knows the importance of payroll compliance and efficiency.
About KiwiBoss Limited
KiwiBoss provides businesses with people management training and consultancy.
Our training is designed to help clients solve workplace problems, manage contemporary Human Resources issues, and create brighter workplaces. Our employment law expertise assists in compliance with legal obligations.
Our clients include small to medium businesses, large corporates, charitable organisations, and government departments.
We help businesses create a more productive and engaged workforce by managing issues, such as:
- reducing stress in the workplace
- improving flexible working
- increasing employee engagement
- business continuity planning
- An appropriate substitute participant is welcome any time before the course or webinar starts. Please let us know the replacement's name. If you have booked on a member price and a non member is to attend in your place you will be invoiced for the difference in price.
- A refund of fees will be made if a cancellation is received in writing at least 10 working days prior to the commencement of the course or webinar.
- Regrettably, no refunds can be made for cancellations received after this date and you are liable for the full cost of attendance at the course or webinar.