ER Advisor/ Junior Employment Lawyer - Massey University
The People and Culture team at Massey University supports the University's goal of enabling excellence, by providing Massey people and our people leaders with practical and easily accessible human resource tools and support.
We are seeking a Legal Advisor in the Employment Relations space to support and enable Massey staff through the provision of expert advice, frameworks and programmes which supports positive workplace relations.
About the role
As part of the People and Culture team and reporting to the Director Employment Relations and Advisory/Legal Counsel, you will Identify opportunities, research and recommend solutions for initiatives and practices which enhance the employment relationship and the capability of managers. You will provide advice to an experienced team of Senior HR Advisors on legal obligations and, as appropriate, broker centralised consultation with unions on organisational change initiatives and reviews.
What we are looking for:
- Tertiary qualification with an emphasis on Human Resource Management and/or law
- A minimum of three years experience in an Employment Relations role, or a minimum of two years experience in a Legal role
- Knowledge and experience in the application and ongoing management of contemporary NZ employment relations practices, ideally in a large, complex organisation
- Proven ability and confidence in providing accurate advice relating to organisational design, role definition and restructuring, defining consultation processes with unions and staff organisational and culture change
- Sound experience in consulting with managers to identify business needs, and translating these into workable solutions
- Experience working in a team of HR practitioners, or lawyers, working collaboratively across different HR functions to broker solutions for client groups
What's in it for you?
With the flexibility to be located at either our Wellington or Palmerston North Campus we enjoy a 37.5 hour working week, five university holidays per year in addition to your annual leave, discounted membership to our fully equipped recreation centre and gym facilities and option for eligible staff to join Unisaver where Massey will make contributions of up to 6.75%. Education is our core business - we are committed to continuous training and Professional development. To see all the benefits of joining us click here.
For further information or a confidential discussion contact Paul Gillespie, Director Employment Relations and Advisory/Legal Counsel [email protected] or ph. 04 9793387 for a confidential conversation.
Closing date: 14 June 2023
Reference number: US_ER_539_05/23
For further information and to apply online, visit: https://masseyunicareers.nga.net.nz/?jati=845E77DC-B567-CDD8-E994-D1A7744C9E96
Employment Type: Full-time
Capability Level: Advises
Domains of Knowledge: Policy and Process Design, Employment Relations, Industrial Relations, Change Management, Leading the HR function, Organisational Development
This employer recognises the value of Professional Accreditation with HRNZ.
Find out more about Professional Accreditation and The Path - the Capability Framework for HR Professionals.