2019 HASANZ Health and Safety Scholarship Programme opens
The 2019 round of HASANZ Health and Safety Scholarships opened for applications on July 3. The scholarships are targeted at people already working in health and safety or those who want to move into a career in health and safety.
Successful applicants receive up to $10,000 over two years towards tertiary study in health and safety. They also receive mentoring and practical experience, including a fieldtrip. Applications close on 2 September 2019 and successful applicants will be advised in mid-October 2019.
There are five categories of scholarship:
- General: for practitioners and health and safety representatives who want to upskill to a diploma or degree.
- Postgraduate: for people wanting to specialise in health and safety by undertaking a postgraduate qualification at a university.
- Occupational hygiene: for people wanting to become an occupational hygienist or to do further training in this field. (Funded by WorkSafe)
- Applied research: for people undertaking Masters’ or PhD research in a health and safety-related topic. (New category in 2019)
- Poutama scholarships: for Māori health and safety practitioners who want to take their skills to the next level. (New category in 2019)
The scholarships are run by HASANZ and were first introduced in 2018, when 19 scholarships were awarded. They were set up to help build the capability and capacity of the health and safety workforce, to ensure businesses have access to quality advice and services in the future. The names of recipients of the 2019 scholarships will be announced in early December.