Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions


Q: How do I join HRNZ?

Simply complete the online registration form. If you have previously been a Member you can reactivate your Membership by Logging in and updating your details.

Q: How long is HRNZ membership for?

Your HRNZ Membership will commence for 12 months on the date your application is received.

Q: Are HRNZ memberships personal or corporate?

HRNZ membership is personal, so even if your employer pays for the membership it remains with you and cannot be transferred to another employee. The onus is on you to keep your contact and employment details up-to-date and inform HRNZ of any changes. If your membership is part of an Organizational Package purchased by your Employer then your membership may end when you leave their employment.

Q: What level of membership can I apply for?

We have a membership type for whatever stage you’re at in your career – refer to Members Types.  All applicants (other than Students and Graduates) start at the General Member level until they apply for Chartered Membership.

International Membership is available to members residing overseas and Retired Membership for existing Members who have retired.

Q: How much are the Membership fees?

The fees cover you for 1 year (12 months) from the date of your application or renewal. Fees are set on 1 April each year.

Membership Fees for 2019/20


General & Chartered

$ 445.00

inc GST


$ 220.00

inc GST


$ 44.51

inc GST


$ 191.30

ex GST (Overseas address required)


$ 110.00

inc GST

Q: How do I apply for Chartered Membership?

All financial members of HRNZ receive the post nominal recognition of AHRINZ.

Members who wish to obtain a higher level of professional accreditation will need to complete the application process. For more information about Chartering and the Application process please go to Chartered membership.

Q: Is there any official recognition of my overseas accreditation status from CIPD, AHRI or SHRM?

Financial current Chartered MCIPD/FCIPD members residing/working in New Zealand, will be granted, on application, Chartered Member status with HRNZ and have the right to use the post-nominal CMHRINZ. Please contact Membership for details on how to apply.

Q: I haven't received an invoice who should I contact?

All invoices are sent directly to the email address you have provided as your preferred email contact in your membership profile. You can also view and download a copy of your invoices by Logging into your Membership Account.

Q: I am moving overseas? Who do I need to inform?

We have an International membership option available so that you can keep up to date with HR in NZ and HRNZ while overseas. Please contact the Membership Team to discuss your membership options and update your contact details - An overseas address is a prerequisite.

Q: I am going on parental leave? Who do I need to inform?

Please contact the Membership Team to discuss your membership options as we have a special Membership option available to you -

Q: I am currently out of the workforce due to redundancy/sickness? Who do I need to inform?

Please contact the Membership Team to discuss your membership -

Q: I want to cancel my HRNZ membership, who do I contact?

If you wish to cancel your HRNZ membership you need to formally resign in writing.

Please send your resignation by email to the Membership Team -
You can request that your membership be cancelled immediately or at the end of your membership year. We appreciate feedback as to your reasons for cancelling and feedback regarding HRNZ services. HRNZ does not offer any refunds to members wishing to resign part way through their membership year.