Last updated December 2020
Background and Scope
The Human Resources Institute of New Zealand (HRNZ) is committed to protecting the privacy of the personal information it collects and receives. We are required to comply with the Privacy Act 2020 (“the Act”).
This policy explains how HRNZ collects, uses, discloses and otherwise handles personal information relating to individuals, whether or not they are members. It also explains how you can ask to access and correct the personal information we hold about you or complain about any suspected privacy breach. Nothing in this policy limits any of our other legal obligations.
Collection of Personal Information
HRNZ is required to collect personal information in accordance with the Act. Where possible we will collect the personal information we require directly from you or as authorised by you.
Personal information we hold may include, but is not limited to, your name, address, telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, course attendance, and information we require to perform our services for you.
Personal information entered into the HRNZ database will not be used or disclosed by us, except as authorised by you to perform our services for you.
Should you choose not to provide personal information or authorise its disclosure, we may not be able to provide you with the services you require at a sufficient level that we regard as important for performing at best practice.
We may collect personal information:
- From the information supplied by you to HRNZ
- In conversation and communication with you or your representative
- From publicly available sources of information
- When we are required to do so by law
- From our own records of your membership with HRNZ
Where HRNZ collects your personal information, HRNZ will take reasonable steps to notify you of:
- The purposes for which we are collecting the information
- The third parties to whom we may disclose the information of that kind
- How to access and correct personal information and make privacy complaints
HRNZ will only collect sensitive information where it is reasonably necessary for our core functions or activities. For example, we may collect:
- Emergency contact information in case of injury while attending a HRNZ event
- Information about dietary requirements/disability factors for events and conferences
HRNZ will enable you to access our website and make general telephone enquiries without having to identify yourself. HRNZ also enables you to respond to our surveys anonymously.
Cookies through the HRNZ Website
Most internet browsers are set to accept cookies. If you prefer not to receive them, you can adjust your internet browser to reject cookies, or to notify you when they are being used. Rejecting cookies can, however, limit the functionality of our website.
HRNZ has enabled the Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting functionality available through Google Analytics. You can also find out more from Google.
Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
Your personal information may be used by us to:
- Provide products and services to you
- Collect payments and to administer your membership
- Provide you with updated or new information about our products and services
- Enable our service providers to provide products and services to you
- Develop existing and new products and services
- Maintain and update our business infrastructure and systems
- Promote our other products and services to you
In providing our products and services, or collecting and using your personal information, your personal information may be disclosed to third party organisations including:
- Information technology service providers
- Conference organisers
- Marketing and communications agencies
- Mailing houses, freight and courier services
- Printers and distributors of direct marketing material
- Our legal, accounting, financial or other professional advisors
- Regulatory, government and other authorities as required by law
- International bodies with which we have mutual recognition agreements (for example, CPID to confirm member’s membership status)
- Members or HRNZ committees such as the HRNZ Board, Branch Committees and advisory committees
By providing us with your contact details, your consent to receive communications will remain current until you advise us otherwise. However, you can opt out at any time through the following channels:
- By mail – HRNZ, PO Box 11450, Wellington 6142
- By email – email@example.com
- By telephone – 0800 247 469
- Use the unsubscribe facility that we include in our electronic messages such as emails
Unsolicited personal information is personal information we receive that we have taken no active steps to collect. If the information we receive is not required for HRNZ to perform one or more of our services or activities, HRNZ will destroy or remove anything that could identify you from the information as soon as practicable.
Quality of Personal Information
HRNZ takes reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, the accuracy of that information depends to a large extent on the information you provide.
We recommend that you:
- Review/update your information held in your Profile on a regular basis; or
- Let us know if there are any errors in your personal information so we can update your Profile
Security of Personal Information
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information we hold from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
You can also help to protect the privacy of your personal information by keeping passwords secret and by ensuring that you log out of the website when you have completed your transaction. If you become aware of any security breach, please contact HRNZ as soon as possible.
Access to Personal Information
You are able to access your personal information that we hold, except as provided for in the Act. To obtain access to your personal information, write to HRNZ requesting your personal information and confirming your identity and we will provide it to you. If we refuse your request, or if we refuse to give you access in the manner you requested, HRNZ’s policy is to provide you with written confirmation of the reasons for our refusal and the available complaint process.
You can find out more information about your rights, including processes for making complaints regarding privacy matters, at the website of the Office of the Privacy Commissioner www.privacy.org.nz
Members can access and update their contact details by logging in to the member-only area of the website. For personal information that can’t be accessed and corrected through the website, please contact HRNZ.
Credit Card Details
In line with credit card data security standards, when you pay HRNZ using a credit card on line or by telephone, your credit card information is not stored by HRNZ.
If you have a complaint about how HRNZ has collected, stored or used your personal information, please contact HRNZ. We will endeavour to respond within five business days.
If your complaint is unable to be resolved within five business days, HRNZ will advise you in writing including letting you know when we expect to provide our response.
Please contact HRNZ if you have any questions about the personal information that HRNZ holds about you or the way we use or disclose that personal information.
P O Box 11450
Telephone: 0800 247 469